By Dwight Goddard
An creation to Zen Buddhism.
Published via Beacon Press, fifth printing, 1996.
Read or Download A Buddhist Bible PDF
Similar other eastern religions & sacred texts books
This entire advent explores the existence and teachings of Confucius, and improvement of Confucian proposal, from precedent days to the current this day. Demonstrates the knowledge and enduring relevance of Confucius’s teachings – drawing parallels among our twenty first century society and that of China 2,500 years in the past, where government corruption, in addition to social, monetary, and technical adjustments, led thinkers to check human nature and society attracts at the most recent study and contains interpretations of Confucius and his works by means of chinese language and Western students in the course of the centuries Explores how Confucius's fans increased and reinterpreted his rules after his demise, and the way this technique has persisted all through chinese language heritage Seamlessly hyperlinks Confucius with our smooth age, revealing how his teachings have develop into the root of East Asian tradition and prompted the West
Chinese language philosophy earlier than our Christian period is emphasised during this nontechnical precis of chinese language notion. Professor Creel additionally bargains with Confucianism, the guidelines of Mo-tsu and Mencius, Taoism, Legalism, and their diversifications and variations. As an advent for the final reader, this ebook stands among the finest.
The Dasam Granth is a 1,428-page anthology of various compositions attributed to the 10th Guru of Sikhism, Guru Gobind Singh, and a subject of significant controversy between Sikhs. the debate stems from significant matters: a considerable component to the Dasam Granth relates stories from Hindu mythology, suggesting a disconnect from normative Sikh theology; and an extended composition entitled Charitropakhian tells numerous hundred fairly image tales approximately illicit liaisons among women and men.
- The Art of War: Complete Texts and Commentaries
- The Collected Works of J. Krishnamurti, 1966-1967: Perennial Questions
- Tao Te King
- Collected Works 10 - A Light To Yourself
Extra resources for A Buddhist Bible
In exactly the same way does the monk behold all the bodily forms, feelings, perceptions, mental formations and states of consciousness—whether they be of the past, or the present, or the future, far or near. And he watches them and examines them carefully, and, after carefully examin ing them, they appear to him as empty, void and without an Ego. 21 (3) ) Whoso delights in bodily form, or feeling, or per ception, or mental formations, or consciousness, he delights in suffering; and whoso delights in suffering will not be freed from suffering.
2. Whenever the disciple is training himself to inhale or ex hale (a) whilst feeling, rapture, or (b) joy, or (c) the mental functions, or (d) whilst calming down the mental functions—at such a time he is dwelling in contemplation of the feelings, full of energy, clearly conscious, attentive after subduing worldly greed and grief. For, the full awareness of in- and outbreathing I call one amongst the feelings. 3. Whenever the disciple is training himself to inhale or ex hale (a) whilst feeling the mind, or (b) whilst gladdening the mind, or (c) whilst concentrating the mind, or (d) whilst set ting the mind free—at such a time he is dwelling in contem plation of the mind, full of energy, clearly conscious, attentive, after subduing worldly greed and grief.
12) In this respect one may rightly say of me, that I teach annihilation, that I propound my doctrine for the pur pose of annihilation, and that I herein train my disciples. For, 42 SELECTIONS FROM PALI SOURCES certainly, I teach annihilation,—the annihilation namely of greed, anger and delusion, as well as of the manifold evil and demeritorious things. 22) What now is Right Mindedness? 1. T h e thought free from lust. 2. T h e thought free from ill-will. 3. T h e thought free from cruelty. This is called right mindedness.